Your health and your weight are connected. According to the CDC, when your weight falls within the range of being “overweight” or “obese” it may increase your risk of developing serious illnesses and can show up as:
- heart disease
- certain cancers
- reduced life expectancy
- obstructive sleep apnea
- endocrine system imbalances (hormones)
- abdominal fat
What causes it:
Although it’s assumed by many that excess weight and obesity are due to overeating, it’s not that simple. Many factors contribute to weight gain and obesity, such as:
- your culture
- your environment
- your exercise habits
- your eating style
- your genetic makeup
- your biochemical individuality
- your physiological set point
Your individual metabolism is inherent AND created by your lifestyle, diet and exercise habits. What that means is that certain diseases tend to run in families and this is partly due to genetics but it can also be influenced by the dietary and lifestyle habits formed in your early childhood.
Here are some more possible causes of your excess weight:
- sluggish metabolism
- digestive imbalances
- food allergies or sensitivities
- nutritional deficiencies
- food addictions
- chemical toxicity
- insulin / blood sugar imbalances
- adrenal hormone imbalances
- excessive dieting
- psychological factors
What can I do about it:
To achieve significant and permanent weight loss that will last a lifetime, you need to create a structured plan that incorporates healthier eating habits, exercise, stress reduction, and repairing any underlying imbalances you may have.
Although you can formulate and begin your own wellness plan, check with your healthcare practitioner before beginning any dietary, detoxification, and exercise program. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your excess weight (and especially obesity) condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body, requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(2) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, accumulation of toxins, and weight gain.
(3) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor in your health equation.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(4) Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites and Leaky Gut Syndrome because they often show up together with weight issues, and many of their symptoms are the same. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(5) With excess weight and obesity, focusing on repairing your metabolism by removing the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms and inflammation in your body is ideal. Eliminating the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) can help you eliminate the food sources that are contributing to excess weight, while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(6) Getting into the habit of always washing your fruits and vegetables before consuming them is a proactive choice you can make to reduce your exposure to parasites, bugs, and added pesticide residues present on your produce. Choose organic whenever possible to avoid the drag that insecticides and pesticides play on your digestive and immune systems. Avoiding the consumptions of raw or undercooked meat reduces your exposure to parasites.
(7) Becoming an expert at reading labels and eliminating unhealthy ingredients is key. If you cannot pronounce the name of an ingredient or know what it is, how will you know if it’s actually safe to consume? Most food companies add preservatives, colorings, and flavor enhancers by adding chemicals to packaged foods. Some ingredients like MSG and wheat are hidden as “spices” in the packaged foods. They often add several sweeteners to a product so that sugar doesn’t have to be listed as a top ingredient. Consuming foods that create inflammation and reaction will only add weight to your body.
With extra weight, you often have some hormonal imbalances. It’s especially important to reduce your sugar intake and to know where sugar is coming into your diet. Be aware that all these ingredients mean sugar: dextrose, sucrose, glucose, corn sweetener, fructose, dextrin, high-fructose corn syrup, lactose, modified cornstarch, maltodextrin, maltose, malt, fruit juice concentrates, mannitol, sorghum, xylitol, and sorbitol. Agave sweetener is a highly processed sugar and should be avoided. Stevia is a great natural sweetener alternative that is available in both powder and liquid forms. You can substitute it in many recipes without difficulty.
(8) Setting yourself up for optimal digestion is key. Drinking a glass of water 15-30 minutes before your meal, then taking the time to sit down, eat and enjoy it in a stress-free environment is a habit that supports optimal digestion. This allows you to chew your food thoroughly in a relaxed manner and it helps facilitate better digestion. This turns off the stress response and turns on the digest response in the body. Eating until you feel 80% full is another key to optimal digestion. When you have a weight issue, focusing your attention on eating balancing, satisfying meals will help you reduce your stress as you stabilize your blood sugar levels and repair your metabolism.
(9) Implementing an appropriate exercise plan. It can be as simple and easy as going for a walk each day or implementing a program of cardio and weight lifting. Ideally, you will want to do 10-20 minutes of exercise that will cause you to increase your heart rate so that you sweat. If extreme fatigue or low energy is part of your health experience, follow exercise guidelines in the Adrenal Fatigue article.
(10) Balanced and nutrient-rich meals support the synergistic relationship of your major hormones. Unbalanced meals and foods high on the glycemic index trigger the release of increasing amounts of insulin. When blood sugar levels are out of balance continually because of your dietary choices, your liver converts excess sugar to fat and it is stored in your fat tissue for future use. Decreased thyroid hormones can affect your ability to digest, to burn fat, and this interferes with insulin levels. Your adrenals also play a part in balancing your blood sugar levels. When you are continually in a state of stress, your adrenals become overwhelmed and exhausted and cannot do their job effectively.
Your body needs a variety of nutrients to make all your hormones, and when these building materials are not present your hormone system really suffers and this can lead to weight gain. Implementing improvements in your dietary and lifestyle habits support the balance of your hormone levels and reduces your overall stress. Dietary and lifestyle habits should be implemented to balance your hormone levels before you begin any hormone replacement therapy. When these steps don’t seem to be enough, having your healthcare practitioner measure your hormone levels can help you take appropriate action.
(11) Assess your body’s elimination capabilities to determine if you need to to complete a detoxification protocol. If you are not having at least one healthy bowel movement each day, you are not eliminating optimally. Poor digestion, dehydration, candida overgrowth, hormone imbalances, bile issues, etc., have a lot to do with how often you are able to eliminate. Always make sure you are eliminating every day before you begin any kind detoxification program as part of your weight loss plan.
(12) Reducing your stress levels is an important key to your weight loss. Stress is an important factor in your wellness equation. A little stress can prompt you into action and that’s good thing. When you are under constant stress, your body will not feel safe enough to let go of excess weight and toxins.
Find stress reduction techniques that work and practice them. This could be something as simple as going for a walk out in nature, exercising, or taking some time to quiet your internal chatter. Stress reduction techniques might include relaxation therapy (such as meditation, deep breathing, or visualization exercises), biofeedback, hypnosis, EFT, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, Mental-Emotional Stress Release, counseling or stress management training. We can teach you techniques to help you diffuse your stress.
(13) Lack of sleep can create stress too. Choosing a bedtime routine that will support optimal sleep eat night is a gift to your body – time for repair and regeneration. Winding down the last 60-90 minutes before you go to sleep and trying to “hit the sack” by 10 pm at the latest is a great habit that supports optimal health. Winding down time sends the message to your body to move into relaxation and rest. You can end your day by spending a few minutes reflecting on all the good parts of your day. Setting an intention to experience a restful and replenishing night of sleep and a smooth and easy-flowing day tomorrow is a fabulous way to quiet your mind before drifting off to sleep.
Keeping a notepad and pen on your nightstand and to write down a quick note about anything that is keeping your mind engaged will allow you to let go of your “To Do List” until tomorrow. Relaxation techniques are an excellent way to end your day. If you need help implementing these relaxation techniques, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness and we can show you how.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing a lot of the symptoms listed above, your inner ecosystem has been out of balance for quite some time. It’s time for you to think about implementing these additional steps:
(14) Making your dietary improvements permanent might be exactly what you need to feel better. When you do not provide your body with key nutrients all aspects of digestion, absorption, detoxification and elimination become impaired. Your hormone system can only mirror the quality of the building materials you provide it through your diet.
The place where most people fail is falling back into old habits that slowly recreate their imbalances and symptoms. Eating healthy 95% of the time and indulging only 5% of the time supports your optimal well-being. If you are struggling with how to integrate these changes on your own, an Essential Wellness practitioner skilled in the areas of nutrition, digestion and detoxification can help you.
(15) When you suffer from any kind of digestive dysfunction, it may benefit you to complete repair work of your gut lining so that you experience complete digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Herbal supplements like a Biocult probiotic, L-glutamine powder, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, digestive enzymes, and Glutathione spray all have their place in supporting the rebuilding of your gut ecosystem, but they will not make up the difference if you eat a “crappy” diet.
You can also introduce organic, home-made probiotic foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc., to continue feeding and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. The healthier your gut ecosystem is, the more able your immune system is to chelate toxins from your body. There are many ayuredic herbs that benefit the repair of your digestive system. Young Living has many nutritional supplements that can help you balance your digestive terrain. We can help teach you about these supportive supplements and live foods at Essential Wellness.
(16) What to do if you are following the elimination diet and it doesn’t seem to be making any improvement in your weight. You may have an underlying imbalance (such as H. pylori, yeast overgrowth, parasites, food sensitivities, abscesses in the teeth, underlying infection, hormone imbalance, heavy metal poisoning, etc.). Your healthcare practitioner can run tests to determine what factors are responsible for your inability to rebalance your body and experience weight loss. If you haven’t implemented an exercise program, this may be stalling your weight loss efforts.
(17) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system, which reduces your overall stress.
(18) Detoxifying your body through dietary improvements, an herbal cleanse program, and/or detoxification therapies can be an effective way to improve your overall experience of well-being. Before beginning any detox protocol, check in with your healthcare practitioner, to determine if there is a reason you should not complete a cleanse at this time. (When your body is in an extreme state of stress and toxicity, it’s important to replenish your nutrient reserves before beginning any detoxification protocol.)
It is also very important for your elimination channels to be open before beginning and during any detoxification program, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
When you are experiencing a problem with weight loss or obesity and the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, Essential Wellness can help you. We do this by sharing our knowledge and experience, tools, techniques, and these therapies:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including excess weight and obesity are connected to some physiological dysfunction that causes accumulated toxicity in the body or vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day. Detoxifying the lymph will be a key factor for you.
- We offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to assist you in balancing your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive. With Vibrational Raindrop therapy, we can apply oils that are supportive to your metabolism.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of excess weight is about feeling insecure and/or rejecting yourself, fear and needing protection, running away from your feelings, or seeking fulfillment from food. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With excess weight and obesity you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you address any stress that is present in your energy system.