Sinusitis is inflammation of the mucous membranes of one or more of your sinus cavities. It is known for the pain it causes in your head. It can be acute, as in a sinus infection, or chronic, where the inflammation persists and may involve a low-grade infection with periodic flare-ups.
When you have a cold that persists beyond two weeks, it’s accompanied by headache or facial pain, you have yellow/green nasal and post nasal mucus drainage, and you are fatigued, these are primary indications that you have a sinus infection.
Your chronic sinusitis symptoms usually include:
- constant postnasal drip
- head congestion
- headaches or facial pain
- diminished sense of smell
- nasal drainage
- general malaise
- a nasal or hoarse voice
Chronic sinusitis can lead to degeneration of the tissues that make up the mucous membranes, which can hamper the ability of your sinuses to drain optimally.
What causes it:
There are numerous external and internal factors that can be triggering your sinus inflammation and infection. Factors include:
- tobacco smoke
- common cold viruses
- extremely dry air, and cold air
- air pollutants in your home/work environments
- food allergies and sensitivities
- gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), acid reflux or heartburn
- dental infections
- structural problems (such as nasal polyps, cysts, or a deviated septum)
- emotional stress (being irritated to someone/something)
- overuse of antibiotics
- candida overgrowth
- bacterial infection
What can I do about it:
In mild cases, try the steps below. In such cases when your sinus symptoms are accompanied by persistent cough, severe stuffy nose, recurrent infections, it’s important to be working with a qualified health practitioner. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins. It builds the mucus membrane of the stomach to protect it from the stomach acid.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, infections, and leaky gut.
(2) Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites and/or Leaky Gut Syndrome as they often show up together with chronic infections and their symptoms overlap. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and strengthen your immune system by repairing leaky gut through an elimination diet as your next step.
(3) Proper diet is the foundational step in dealing with sinusitis. Suffering from sinusitis means you may have nutritional deficiencies, poor digestion, intestinal dysfunction, an underlying infection or any combination which can lead to leaky gut, food sensitivities, and other diseases in your body, if not corrected.
Eliminating the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils).
Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(4) Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor in your health equation because anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, infections, and leaky gut.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(5) Avoid or minimize the use of NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.), antibiotics and antacids. NSAIDS negatively affect your stomach lining. The long-term effects of antibiotics can set your body up for digestive problems and lowered immunity. Dietary and lifestyle habit improvements are key in an overgrowth of microorganisms that can cause infections. These same dietary and lifestyle choices can alleviate your need for antacids too.
(6) Nasal irrigation is an Ayurvedic technique that involves pouring salt water through each nostril to cleanse the membranes of your nose and sinuses and to flush out mucus. Invest in a Neti pot. To use your Neti pot to perform nasal irrigation, warm purified water slightly (not in the microwave) and fill your Neti pot. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Next position the pour spout of the Neti pot in one nostril and tip your head until the water comes out the other nostril. Repeat this process on your opposite nostril.
(7) Check and improve the indoor air quality of your home and work environment. This may mean investing in a negative ion generator or an air cleaning-filtering system with a HEPA filter to address irritants such as dust, pollen, molds, animal dander, and bacteria. Look for a unit that emits a minimum of one trillion ions per second and is self-regulating.
You will also want to get your air ducts and carpets cleaned, without using toxic chemicals, to remove dust mites, animal dander, etc. Change your furnace and central air conditioning filters regularly. Use a humidifier, especially in the winter months, if you have dry sinuses.
(8) Stop smoking if you are a smoker. Reduce your exposure to inhaling cigarette smoke and other respiratory irritants.
(9) Check for and clean up mold in your home and work environments. Laundry rooms, bathrooms, and damp and/or water-damaged basements are the perfect environment for mold to grow. Diffuse Young Living Thieves oil to kill the mold spores. Be sure to wear a mask when cleaning and removing mold contaminants.
(10) Regular application of breathing steam is an excellent way to care for your entire respiratory tract. Bring a pan of water to a boil, add therapeutic-grade eucalyptus essential oil to the water. Then use a towel to create a tent over the pan as you inhale the steam, being careful not to burn yourself. Sitting in a steam room or sauna will also provide benefit to you.
(11) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Eucalyptus Radiata, Purification or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you (head, sinuses, eyes, ears, throat, and lungs). Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For sinusitis, look at oils that will also support your respiratory and immune systems (such as Ravensara, RC, and Thieves).
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
(12) Determine and reduce excessive stress levels. Stress plays a big part in your digestive and immune functions. When you are stressed out, your body may not be producing the protective mucosal lining or secreting adequate levels of acid to sterilize and digest your foods. When this happens your pancreas and liver may not be receiving the correct messages to release digestive enzymes and bile – which can interfere with complete digestion. Finding stress-reduction techniques that work for you and using them regularly will help you diffuse your stress more effectively.
These techniques might include: exercise, relaxation therapy (such as meditation, visualization, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or tai chi), biofeedback, hypnosis, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, EFT, Mental-Emotional Stress Release, counseling or stress management training. We can teach you stress-reduction techniques and walk you through how to incorporate them into your everyday life.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing chronic sinusitis, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to implement these additional steps:
(13) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body, requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(14) Making your dietary improvements permanent might be exactly what you need to feel better. When you do not provide your body with key nutrients all aspects of digestion, absorption, detoxification and elimination become impaired. Your body can only mirror the quality of the building materials you provide it through your diet.
The place where most people fail is falling back into old habits that slowly recreate their imbalances and symptoms. Eating healthy 95% of the time and indulging only 5% of the time supports your optimal well-being. If you are struggling with how to integrate these changes on your own, an Essential Wellness practitioner skilled in the areas of nutrition, digestion and detoxification can help you.
(15) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system.
(16) When you suffer from chronic sinusitis herbal supplements like a Biocult probiotic, L-glutamine powder, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Glutathione spray all have their place in supporting the rebuilding of your gut ecosystem, but they will not make up the difference if you eat a “crappy” diet. It may be helpful for you to do a herbal cleanse to address congestion in the digestive system. Work with a practitioner to determine correct supplements and dosages.
You can also introduce organic, home-made probiotic foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc., to continue feeding and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. The healthier your gut ecosystem is, the more able your immune system is to chelate toxins from your body. There are many ayuredic herbs that benefit the repair of your digestive system. Young Living has many nutritional supplements that can help you balance your digestive terrain. We can help teach you about these supportive supplements and live foods at Essential Wellness.
(17) Detoxification is another very important component in promoting health of your immune system and addressing other factors related to sinusitis. When you have sinus issues, you most likely have leaky gut and allergies or sensitivities of some kind. That coupled with the barrage of toxins you are exposed to in your environment (household, personal care, and yard products) and your food supply, it makes complete sense to take steps to remove these toxins from your body. A state of toxicity creates stress in your body.
It’s very important for your elimination channels to be open and moving optimally before you begin any detoxification protocol, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
(18) Heavy Metals. Mercury is a highly toxic substance and may be a factor in your chronic sinusitis. There is a connection between sinusitis, candida overgrowth, leaky gut, mercury poisoning and dental amalgams that is often given minimal attention for sinus problems. Request a heavy metal profile test from your health professional. If it is determined that you have mercury poisoning, partner with a naturopathic dentist to remove silver amalgam fillings and a health professional skilled in heavy metal removal therapies to assist you in chelating the heavy metals toxins from your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
If you are experiencing sinusitis symptoms, the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, and you need more assistance in putting it all together, Essential Wellness can help you in the following ways:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including sinusitis are connected to some physiological dysfunction that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you if you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- For pain and stress caused by structural imbalances related to sinusitis, we have Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to assist you in balancing your physical body and relieving pressure, congestion and discomfort in your head. Bottom line, when your body feels out of balance you feel stress. This is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of sinus issues can stem from being irritated by someone or something close to you, perhaps even yourself for not feeling able to speak up and voice how you feel so you suppress your emotions. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques can help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With sinusitis you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.