Many parasite infections go undetected for years because they don’t produce any serious symptoms or only produce symptoms at one stage of their lives, which can often be attributed to other causes. A parasite infection depletes your body of essential nutrients, taxes and overwhelms your immune system, and increases the levels of toxicity in your body.
You may assume that parasite infections are a problem of developing countries, but it is estimated that one in six Americans is host to a parasite.
Parasite infections can show up as:
- any chronic gastrointestinal complaints
- bloating, gas
- abdominal pain, cramping
- nausea, vomiting, or flu-like symptoms
- night sweats or fever
- chronic constipation
- mucus in the stool
- explosive, watery diarrhea
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Candidiasis (often a complication of giardiasis infection)
- malabsorption and malnutrition
- deficiencies of vitamins and minerals
- electrolyte imbalances
- wide swings in blood sugar levels
- multiple food sensitivities
- rashes and/or hives
- unexplained fatigue
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- behavioral, mental and/or emotional problems
- muscular and skeletal pain and weakness
- rheumatoid and/or arthritic pain
- compromised immunity
- HIV and AIDS (by suppressing your immune system)
- severe weight loss
- menstrual irregularities
What causes it:
Here are possible ways you can be exposed to parasites:
- contaminated water (especially in areas with poor sanitary standards)
- fruits and vegetables (from countries where parasites are prevelant, where human waste is used as a fertilizer, and these foods are not cleaned properly before consumption)
- raw fish (sushi, sashimi, or smoked salmon)
- raw and undercooked beef and pork (may contain tapeworms or anisakid worms)
- low stomach acid (inability to digest and sterilize your food)
- exposure to parasites in more tropical climate locations
- pets (transmitted by contact through animal feces, fur containing parasite eggs, or infected fleas)
- insects (mosquitos, flies, cockroaches, and fleas)
- sexual contact (Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica, and Trichomonas vaginalis)
- inhaled through the air
- daycare centers (where proper sanitation standards are not followed)
What can I do about it:
To successfully resolve a parasitic infection, it is necessary for you to restore healthy conditions in your intestinal tract. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) It’s important to determine if you have an underlying infection (such as H. pylori, yeast overgrowth, parasites, abscesses in the teeth, etc.). Your health practitioner can run tests to determine what factors are involved in your health equation. When diagnosing a possible parasitic infection, your healthcare practitioner should first gather a detailed picture of your symptoms and then gather a complete history. This will help them determine if a parasitic infection is a factor in your symptoms.
(2) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body, requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(3) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor in your health equation.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(4) Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida and Leaky Gut Syndrome, because parasites, candida and leaky gut often show up together with overlapping symptoms. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(5) With parasites, focusing on repairing your metabolism by removing the foods that trigger inflammation in your body and provide food for unfriendly microorganisms is necessary. Eliminate the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(6) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, accumulation, and weight gain.
(7) Getting into the habit of always washing your fruits and vegetables before consuming them is a proactive choice you can make to reduce your exposure to parasites, bugs, and added pesticide residues present on your produce. Choose organic whenever possible to avoid the drag that insecticides and pesticides play on your digestive and immune systems. Avoiding the consumptions of raw or undercooked meat reduces your exposure to parasites.
(8) Setting yourself up for optimal digestion by reducing stress at mealtime is key. Drinking a glass of water 15-30 minutes before your meal, then taking the time to sit down, eat and enjoy it in a stress-free environment is a habit that supports optimal digestion. This allows you to chew your food thoroughly in a relaxed manner and it helps facilitate better digestion. This turns off the stress response and turns on the digest response in the body. Eating until you feel 80% full is another key to optimal digestion.
(9) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For digestive discomfort, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as DiGize, Peppermint, Ginger or Purification) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you (such as your liver, stomach, pancreas, small and large intestines). Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For parasites, look at oils that will support your digestive, immune, and elimination systems.
Young Living Essential Oils are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing a lot of the symptoms listed above, your inner ecosystem has probably been out of balance for quite some time. It’s time to think about implementing these additional steps:
(10) Making your dietary improvements permanent might be exactly what you need to feel better. When you do not provide your body with key nutrients all aspects of digestion, absorption, detoxification and elimination become impaired. Re-establishing a balanced metabolism is key.
The place where most people fail is falling back into old habits that slowly recreate their imbalances and symptoms. Eating healthy 95% of the time and indulging only 5% of the time supports your optimal well-being. If you are struggling with how to integrate these changes on your own, an Essential Wellness practitioner skilled in the areas of nutrition, digestion and detoxification can help you.
(11) When you suffer from any kind of digestive dysfunction, it may benefit you to complete repair work of your gut lining so that you experience complete digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Herbal supplements like a Biocult probiotic, L-glutamine powder, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, digestive enzymes, and Glutathione spray all have their place in supporting the rebuilding of your gut ecosystem, but they will not make up the difference if you eat a “crappy” diet.
A combination formula of digestive enzymes, taken between meals may be helpful in eliminating parasite larvae or eggs in the intestines. You can also introduce organic, home-made probiotic foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc., to continue feeding and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. The healthier your gut ecosystem is, the more able your immune system is to chelate toxins from your body. There are many ayuredic herbs that benefit the repair of your digestive system. Young Living has many nutritional supplements that can help you balance your digestive terrain. We can help teach you about these supportive supplements and live foods at Essential Wellness.
(12) Herbal remedies have been found to be effective for parasitic infections, such as Citrus Seed Extract, Aloe Vera, Garlic and Goldenseal. Artemisia annua and Artemisia absinthium homeopathic remedies may be able to help you with your parasite problem. Be sure to work with a trained professional before using homeopathic remedies. Note: Artemisia annua is contraindicated during pregnancy.
(13) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system, which reduces your overall stress.
(14) You may want to assess your body’s elimination capabilities to determine if you need to cleanse your colon. If you are not having at least one healthy bowel movement each day (optimally it would be 2-3 per day), you are not eliminating optimally. Poor digestion, dehydration, candida overgrowth, parasites, and bile issues all figure into your bowel movements. Always make sure you are eliminating every day before you begin any kind of herbal Candida, Parasite, Heavy Metals, or Liver/Gallbladder cleanse. In instances where you are not eliminating one or more times per day, colonics and enemas can be helpful.
(15) Detoxifying your body through dietary improvements, an herbal cleanse program, and/or detoxification therapies can be an effective way to improve your overall experience of well-being. Before beginning any detox protocol, check in with your healthcare practitioner, to determine if there is a reason you should not complete a cleanse at this time. (When your body is in an extreme state of stress and toxicity, it’s important to replenish your nutrient reserves before beginning any detoxification protocol.)
It is also very important for your elimination channels to be open before beginning and during any detoxification program, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
When you are experiencing a parasite problem and the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, Essential Wellness can help you. We do this by sharing our knowledge and experience, tools, techniques, and these therapies:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including parasite infections are connected to some physiological dysfunction (leaky gut) that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- We offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to assist you in balancing your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of parasites can be connected to: giving your power away to others, letting others take over, or feeling victimized. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With parasites you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.