There are many types of headaches, and they are categorized by their symptoms. The list of headaches includes:
- tension headaches
- migraine headaches
- cluster headaches
- allergy/sensitivity headaches
- trauma headaches
- TMJ/dental headaches
- eyestrain headaches
- sinus headaches
- rebound headaches
- exertion headaches
- organic headaches
What causes it:
It is important to determine the cause of your headache pain, especially if you headache pain comes on suddenly and is accompanied by seizures, projectile vomiting, speech or personality changes, walking difficulty, and increasing pain.
These may be a sign of a serious condition such as:
- brain tumors
- swollen and diseased blood vessels
- brain infections
These symptoms are an indication of an organic headache and you should go to your doctor immediately.
When your headache pain is chronic in nature, it’s important to determine the underlying cause. Many times headaches are treated as an isolated problem, separate from the rest of your body. However, a chronic headache syndrome is a sure sign that there is a systemic disturbance in your body that can be extremely complex.
An example of this is migraine headaches caused by hormonal imbalances due to yeast overgrowth (candidiasis). The candidiasis, in turn, can also contribute to food allergies because of Leaky Gut Syndrome, which many alternative practitioners now recognize as one of the primary causes of migraines.
Conventional research cites the following as the cause of headaches:
- vascular irregularities
- genetic predisposition
- sinus problems
- fluctuations in the pain-regulating chemical serotonin
Alternative practitioners look for the mechanisms beneath these conditions, such as:
- food allergies
- chemical and environmental sensitivities
- dental factors
- structural imbalances
- digestive disturbances
What can I do about it:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins. Dehydration can be the cause of your headache.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, and insulin resistance.
(2) Determine the root cause of your headache, and rule out any serious organic headache condition. Once you’ve determined the cause of your headaches, take steps to eliminate that cause. Note some of the causes of headaches in the paragraphs above.
(3) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor in your health equation.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(4) Aspirin and other painkillers can offer temporary relief from headache pain, but they usually only provide temporary relief and fail to address the underlying cause of your headache. Avoid or minimize the use of NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.), antibiotics and antacids because they degrade your digestive ecosystem and contribute to leaky gut.
(5) Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of microorganisms like Candida and Parasites because they often show up with Leaky Gut Syndrome and the symptoms of all three overlap and are the underlying root cause of many health problems. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. At Essential Wellness, we can help you determine if a candida overgrowth is part of your health equation, show you what steps to take to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair your leaky gut, if that is part of your health equation.
(6) Proper diet is the foundational step to well-being. When you have headaches, especially migraines, you commonly have poor digestion, intestinal dysfunction, and a weakened immune system which allows toxins to leak from your intestines (Leaky Gut Syndrome) into your bloodstream. This scenario can lead to food sensitivities, if not corrected. Food sensitivities can lead to headaches and other symptoms. Begin an elimination diet of the most common reactive foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, corn, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners) to support your overall well-being.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(7) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Panaway, Peppermint, M-Grain, Stress Away or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of your head, neck and shoulder areas. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you. Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. Once you determine the underlying cause of your headache, look at oils that will support your digestive, detoxification and elimination processes.
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. At Essential Wellness, we can show you how to use the oils and help you determine which ones will work best for you.
(8) Receive chiropractic alignment, massage, and/or Vibrational Raindrop Technique to realign structural imbalances and relax muscles that are causing tension in your physical body.
(9) Reduce your stress levels. Deep Breathing exercises, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, EFT, Mental-Emotional Stress Release, yoga, meditation and visualization techniques can be an effective ways to reduce your stress. Deep Breathing exercises can help relieve tension and stiffness and increase oxygenation in your head and neck areas. Self-care is extremely important. Know and honor your limits to reduce your stress levels.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you have chronic headaches, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to consider implementing these additional steps:
(10) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what’s triggering your headaches. It will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system, which reduces your overall stress.
(11) Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome.
Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach to find a solution for your headaches. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(12) Dietary supplements can play an important supportive role, so at a minimum you will want to take a balanced multivitamin and mineral. An antioxidant formula can be beneficial as well. If it’s determined that you have impaired digestive function, herbal supplements will play an integral part in detoxification and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. For more specific information on supplements, work with a practitioner who has specific training in dietary supplementation for the repair of your gut ecosystem.
(13) Detoxifying your body through dietary improvements, an herbal cleanse program, and/or detoxification therapies can be an effective way to improve your overall experience of well-being. Before beginning any detox protocol, check in with your healthcare practitioner, to determine if there is a reason you should not complete a cleanse at this time. (When your body is in an extreme state of stress and toxicity, it’s important to replenish your nutrient reserves before beginning any detoxification protocol.)
It is also very important for your elimination channels to be open before beginning and during any detoxification program, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. It is possible that your headache is a Herxheimer reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including headaches are connected to some physiological dysfunction that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of headaches can stem from self criticism, fear, or dislike of being driven. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With chronic headaches you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.