Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS) is a multiple-symptom syndrome primarily involving widespread muscle pain, which can be debilitating in it severity. The pain seems to be caused by the tightening and thickening of the myofascia, the thin film or tissue that holds your muscles together.
Fibromyalgia shares many of the same symptoms as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Often the symptoms of Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) are seen together, with the either pain or fatigue being the most dominant. When your most dominant symptom is pain, you are usually diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia (FMS) symptoms include:
- fatigue (ranging from general to debilitating)
- muscle pain, trigger-point pain
- insomnia and sleep disorders
- mood swings
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- digestive issues
- irritable bowel syndrome
- exercise intolerance
What causes it:
Many possible triggering events or causes have been implicated in the onset of FMS, including:
- viral and bacterial infections
- trauma such as an assault or auto accident
- emotional trauma (a significant loss or abuse of any kind)
- chemical and food sensitivities
- chronic stress
- sleep disturbances
- hormonal imbalances
- mercury toxicity from dental amalgam fillings
- silicone toxicity from breast implants
- irregularities in muscle metabolism
What can I do about it:
The conventional medical solution for FMS is painkillers. This symptom-driven treatment does not address the underlying cause of your symptoms and provides a slim chance for therapeutic success.
Many conventional physicians are just beginning to see what alternative medicine practitioners believe to be the most effective way of treating fibromyalgia. A combined therapy approach that includes proper diet, correcting impaired gut health, balancing hormone levels, eliminating accumulated toxicity, reducing pain, and addressing mental and emotional stress. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome.
A major and often overlooked cause of Fibromyalgia is hormonal imbalances. Another overlooked factor is heavy metal toxicity, especially mercury poisoning from silver dental amalgams. It’s also important to look for infections that are the result of toxicity and nutritional deficiency, including yeast and parasites, viruses, abscesses in your teeth, and sometimes chronic gastritis.
Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(2) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor when you experience fibromyalgia.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(3) Determine whether your chronic symptoms are related to an overgrowth of microorganisms like Candida, Parasites and Leaky Gut Syndrome because they often show up together. Their symptoms overlap and can be an underlying cause if you are experiencing fibromyalgia. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair your leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(4) Proper diet is a foundational step for all health issues. It is the necessary starting place to help you eliminate the dietary factors that are feeding your fibromyalgia. Eliminate the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(5) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, and accumulation of toxins.
(6) Avoid or minimize the use of NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.), antibiotics and antacids. See Acid Reflux/Heartburn for help in reducing these medications.
(7) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Panaway or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you. Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For fibromyalgia, look at oils that will also support your immune system.
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. At Essential Wellness, we can show you how to use the oils and help you determine which ones will work best for you.
(8) Hot bath soak enhanced with baking soda, Epsom salts, ginger, apple cider vinegar are all ways to help sooth soreness and pull toxins from your body. Infrared sauna can also be helpful for soreness and detoxification.
(9) Massage helps break up muscular waste deposits that can cause pain. It also stimulates your circulation to bring in nutrients and take out waste. Chiropractic adjustments as well as acupuncture can be extremely beneficial to you.
(10) Eliminating excessive stress levels is an important key to your well-being. A little stress can prompt you into action and that’s good thing. Too much stress can affect your digestive capabilities as well as the function of your adrenal glands. Using stress reduction techniques regularly will help you manage your stress more effectively.
Stress reduction techniques might include: exercise, relaxation therapy (such as meditation, visualization, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or tai chi), biofeedback, hypnosis, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, EFT, Mental-Emotional Stress Release, counseling or stress management training. We teach various techniques to help you diffuse your stress. Self-Care is extremely important!! Know and honor your limits!
(11) Implementing an exercise plan supports your body’s natural detoxification and elimination processes. Spending 15-30 minutes each day doing some form of exercise that causes you to break a sweat is ideal. It can be something like going for a brisk walk or working with a personal trainer. If you suffer from extreme fatigue or low energy, read the exercise guidelines for Adrenal Fatigue. Checking with your healthcare practitioner before beginning any exercise program is a good idea, especially when you have a health condition.
If you have Fibromyalgia, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to consider implementing these additional steps:
(12) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system, which reduces your overall stress.
(13) Partner with a naturopathic dentist to safely remove and replace any silver-mercury amalgam fillings if it’s determined that you have high mercury levels. Mercury is a highly toxic substance. This step is often given minimal attention and can make a huge life-altering difference in the areas of anxiety, depression, confusion, irritability, and the inability to concentrate. As you strengthen and repair your body, you will want to detoxify the heavy metals from your body.
(14) When you suffer from any kind of digestive dysfunction, it may benefit you to complete repair work of your gut lining so that you experience complete digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Herbal supplements like a Biocult probiotic, L-glutamine powder, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, digestive enzymes, and Glutathione spray all have their place in supporting the rebuilding of your gut ecosystem and repair work of your body, but they will not make up the difference if you eat a “crappy” diet.
You can also introduce organic, home-made probiotic foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc., to continue feeding and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. The healthier your gut ecosystem is, the more able your immune system is to chelate toxins from your body. There are many ayuredic herbs that benefit the repair of your digestive system. Young Living has many nutritional supplements that can help you balance your digestive terrain. We can help teach you about these supportive supplements and live foods at Essential Wellness.
(15) Detoxification is another very important component in promoting health of your immune system and addressing other factors related to fibromyalgia. If you have fibromyalgia, you most likely have leaky gut and food intolerances. That coupled with the barrage of toxins your are exposed to in your environment (household, personal care, and yard products) and your food supply, it makes complete sense to take steps to remove these toxins from your body.
It’s very important for your elimination channels to be open and moving optimally before you begin any detoxification protocol; otherwise, you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. Always check with your healthcare professional before beginning any detox protocol. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
Fibromyalgia (FMS) requires a multi-faceted, individualized program. If you are experiencing FMS symptoms, the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, and you need more assistance in putting it all together, Essential Wellness can help you in the following ways:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including Fibromyalgia are connected to some physiological dysfunction (leaky gut) that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of Fibromyalgia can be connected to: feeling like a victim of circumstance, self-worth issues, being too emotional involved in things going on around them, feeling disempowered, angry, guilty or disappointed. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With Fibromyalgia you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.