Ear infections (commonly referred to as otitis media) usually occur following a cold, when your Eustachian tube becomes blocked and infected. Dysfunctional Eustachian tubes may also contribute to your problem. The pus buildup formed by the bacterial infection causes extreme pain often accompanied by a high fever. Most children have at least one ear infection by the time they are five years old.
Symptoms of earache and ear infections:
- severe earache pain (not always present with ear infection)
- pus buildup in middle ear
- ear congestion and inflammation, plugged ear sensation
Although antibiotics are usually prescribed by conventional doctors, the overprescription of antibiotics for your earache pain when there is not an infection will lead to decreased immunity, which often leads to a vicious cycle of ear pain/infection, antibiotic use, and another ear infection because antibiotics reduce the amount of the friendly bacteria in your gut that account for 80% of your immunity.
What causes it:
- allergy or sensitivity, usually to dairy foods
- if infant that is being breastfed, an irritating substance in mother’s milk
- blocked or congested eustachian tube(s)
- bacterial infection
- lowered immunity, due to multiple courses of antibiotics
What can I do about it:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, accumulation, and weight gain.
(2) Proper diet is the foundational step in dealing with all your health issues, especially the symptoms that have to do with infection caused by lowered immunity. Begin by eliminating dairy from your diet.
If your are breastfeeding your baby, there could be an irritating substance in your diet that is causing the baby’s allergy symptoms. The most common reactive foods are milk/dairy, wheat/gluten, soy, peanuts, corn, eggs. Foods like garlic, onions, cabbage, and beans commonly produce intestinal gas in both mother and baby. You should make the dietary modifications to your diet while breastfeeding.
If you feed your baby formula, check the ingredients to see if the formula has milk ingredients in it. You may need to change formulas; look for one that is a more-digestible formula. Look for information on colic.
(3) When you are breast feeding and your baby is having earache/ear infection issues, it’s important to look at your own digestive issues. Take the HCI Challenge Test, to determine if you have low stomach acid, as it interferes with protein digestion for you and your baby.
(4) Your immunity and your breastfed baby’s immunity is very tied to your gut health. Determine whether symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites, and/or Leaky Gut Syndrome. All three often show up together, have overlapping symptoms, and are the underlying cause of chronic respiratory, digestive and immune issues. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(5) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body (requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis). Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, rebuilding your digestive flora, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(6) It is important to determine the trigger of your earache and/or ear infection, especially when they are chronic. To rule out food allergies and/or sensitivities, eliminate the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) from your diet, while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you.
Other steps include learning to read food labels, knowing how to choose meals when eating out, and how to create a stress-free environment when eating for optimal digestion. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program that will teach you all these things and more. It is designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you.
(7) Apply drops of mullein flower oil in the ear, as long as there is no perforation of the eardrum. Warm the dropper bottle of mullein flower oil, by rubbing it back and forth between your hands, before applying a drop into the ear. Never heat the oil on the stove top or in the microwave. Apply a cottonball to cover the opening of the ear and to catch any oil that may leak out.
(8) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Panaway, Purification or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply around the ear, the mastoid bone, and down the neck with self massage, but not inside your ear.
You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you (head, sinuses, ears). Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For earaches/ear infections, look at oils that will also support your digestive and immune systems (such as DiGize, Ravensara and Thieves).
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
When applying oils to your newborn or infant, reduce to 1 drop essential oil and always dilute in a carrier oil. The safest place to apply essential oils to your baby is on the bottom of their feet. See the Young Living Essential Oils page for other recommendations and resources for using oils on your child.
(9) Know when to go to your doctor. Any problems that worsen or persist need to be checked out by your licensed health practitioner. It’s important to allow your body’s immune system to kick in to fight the virus and not begin taking an antibiotic for any virus. Be sure your doctor confirms that an ear infection is present before you begin a course of antibiotics.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing ear symptoms, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to consider implementing these additional steps:
(10) Considering taking a probiotic supplement. A probiotic is friendly bacteria that can help re-establish high number of good bacteria in your gut ecosystem, which will support your immune system. Do not take a probiotic and an antibiotic together as the antibiotic will kill the good bacteria in the probiotic. Keep doses at least 2 hours apart, and follow the directions on your probiotic supplement for best results.
When giving your newborn, use a powdered formula and add to their bottle or apply directly on your nipple before feeding. Look for a formula that does not have dairy ingredients.
(11) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system.
(12) Detoxification is another very important component in promoting health of your immune system and addressing your ear issues. The barrage of toxins you are exposed to in your environment (household, personal care, and yard products), your food supply, and the air you breathe, it makes complete sense to take steps to remove these toxins from your body.
It’s very important for your elimination channels to be open and moving optimally before you begin any detoxification protocol, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. You will want to check with your healthcare professional before beginning any detox protocol. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
You should not enter a detoxification protocol while you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If your child has chronic earaches or ear infections, you will want to work with a qualified healthcare professional as you have your child go through any detoxification process.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
If you are experiencing an earache/ear infection (especially if your symptoms have a chronic pattern), and the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, and you need more assistance in putting it all together, Essential Wellness can help you in the following ways:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including ear infections are connected to some physiological dysfunction that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are experiencing problems with daily bowel movements. Core Lymphatic may be the most appropriate therapy for your baby. For older children and adults, Colonics and IonCleanse Foot Detox would be appropriate.
- We offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to help you in balancing your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. These therapies help to relieve tightness, congestion, and inflammation in your ears by interrupting your stress response and allowing you to relax. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of earaches/ear infections can be connected to: being overwhelmed by and not wanting to listen to chaotic or turmoil in your environment. If this description matches what you or your child might be experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques can help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With chronic earaches/ear infections, you or your child are most likely experiencing unpleasant symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.