A sudden, explosive expulsion of air from the lungs, usually in order to expel something from the air passages. Productive coughing brings up mucus (referred to as sputum or phlegm) and an unproductive, dry cough does not.
What causes it:
- bronchospasm (temporary narrowing of the bronchi)
- post nasal drip
- allergies (food or environmental)
- excess mucus or phlegm
What can I do about it:
To successfully resolve a cough, it is necessary for you to restore balance in your digestive, respiratory and immune systems. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Do not to take antibiotics unless you know you have a bacterial infection. Allow your immune system to fight a common cold. Look at the color and texture of any phlegm you cough up. If your symptoms worsen, your cough produces colored mucus or blood, or your coughing is associated with postural changes, you should seek medical attention from your health professional.
(2) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, accumulation, and weight gain.
(3) Reduce or eliminate all mucus-producing foods (especially dairy and gluten) during the time you are sick in order to speed up your healing process. Increase your fluid consumption with soups and bone broth.
(4) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Eucalyptus Radiata, Purification or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you. Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For fibromyalgia, look at oils that will also support your immune system (such as Ravensara and Thieves).
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
(5) Steam inhalation using essential oils can be performed by boiling a pan of water, then add 3-5 drops of therapeutic-grade essential oil to steam water, use a towel to create a tent over your head while inhaling the steam from the hot water. Be careful not to burn yourself.
(6) Do the Three Thumps and The Spinal Flush from the 5-minute Energy Routine. This will stimulate your immune system. This routine can be found in Energy Medicine by Donna Eden, or schedule an appointment at Essential Wellness and we will teach you the Energy Routine and some of the most comment reflex points to boost your immune system and support your respiratory system.
(7) Homeopathic Remedies and Flower Remedies may be beneficial, depending on your symptoms and emotional state. Work with a skilled practitioner to determine which remedy may be the best match for you.
(8) Boost consumption of Zinc, Vitamin C, Selenium, and Vitamin D3 to support your immune system. Work with a skilled practitioner for appropriate supplements and therapeutic dosage levels.
(9) Honor your body’s need for rest. This is one of the most important steps you can take to support healing because your body only heals in a relaxed state.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing cold, flu or other respiratory symptoms multiple times per year, it’s time to dig a little deeper to determine their cause, by adding these steps:
(10) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body, requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(11) Your immunity is very tied to your gut health. Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites, and Leaky Gut Syndrome. All three often show up together, have overlapping symptoms, and are the underlying cause of chronic respiratory issues. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(12) Determine what triggers are causing your cough. The underlying cause of your symptoms can be due to sensitivity something in your diet or environement (such as food/drink, the air you are breathing, or chemicals in household, yard, and personal care products). The easiest way to begin with a minimal investment is to engage in an elimination diet of the most common reactive and inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn). Only reintroduce one food group at a time to see if it creates a reaction.
If this method isn’t working for you, ALCAT testing can easily determine what’s triggering you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(13) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor in your health equation.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(14) When you suffer from any kind of digestive dysfunction, it may benefit you to complete repair work of your gut lining so that you experience complete digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Herbal supplements like a Biocult probiotic, L-glutamine powder, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, digestive enzymes, and Glutathione spray all have their place in supporting the rebuilding of your gut ecosystem, but they will not make up the difference if you eat a “crappy” diet.
A combination formula of digestive enzymes, taken between meals may be helpful in eliminating parasite larvae or eggs in the intestines. You can also introduce organic, home-made probiotic foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc., to continue feeding and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. The healthier your gut ecosystem is, the more able your immune system is to chelate toxins from your body. There are many ayuredic herbs that benefit the repair of your digestive system. Young Living has many nutritional supplements that can help you balance your digestive terrain. We can help teach you about these supportive supplements and live foods at Essential Wellness.
(15) Detoxifying your body through dietary improvements, an herbal cleanse program, and/or detoxification therapies can be an effective way to improve your overall experience of well-being. Before beginning any detox protocol, check in with your healthcare practitioner, to determine if there is a reason you should not complete a cleanse at this time. (When your body is in an extreme state of stress and toxicity, it’s important to replenish your nutrient reserves before beginning any detoxification protocol.)
It is also very important for your elimination channels to be open before beginning and during any detoxification program, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
(16) Reduce your stress levels. Stress is a very important key to your well-being. A little stress can prompt you into action and that’s good thing. Too much stress can be debilitating. Find stress reduction techniques that work and practice them. This could be something as simple as going for a walk out in nature, exercising, or taking some time to quiet your internal chatter. At Essential Wellness, we have several stress-reduction therapies to choose from and we can also teach you stress-reduction techniques that you can implement on your own.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
If you are experiencing a chronic cough, the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, and you need more assistance in putting it all together, Essential Wellness can help you in the following ways:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including chronic cough are connected to some physiological dysfunction (leaky gut) that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- We offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to help you balance your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of coughing can be connected to: feeling like others are not listening to you and having to bark to be heard. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With chronic cough you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.