Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) consists of extreme fatigue accompanied by a cluster of symptoms that seem to develop together fairly suddenly, often following an infection. No standard medical tests exist to detect CFS today but a careful medical history, a physical examination, and laboratory tests can pinpoint specific infections.
Perhaps the surest way to detect the disease is to inventory your pattern of symptoms. Your Chronic Fatigue symptoms may include:
- deep fatigue unrelieved by sleep
- muscle and joint pain or weakness
- memory loss
- mental confusion and poor concentration
- digestive problems
- recurring infections
- low-grade fever (often in the afternoon)
- swollen lymph glands
- food and environmental allergies/sensitivities
- severe exhaustion from minor activity
- autoimmune reactions
- anxiety attacks
- night sweats
- breathing irregularities
- hypersensitivity to heat, cold, light and sound
- irregular heartbeat
What causes it:
Although medical researchers have sought in vain to find a single cause for CFS, alternative practitioners believe CFS develops as a combined result of:
- nutritional deficiencies due to poor diet
- poor digestion and intestinal dysfunction
- leaky gut
- toxicity (from the environment, food, and drugs)
- chemical sensitivities
- mercury toxicity due to silver amalgam dental fillings
- adrenal stress
- poor stress-coping abilities
- overuse of antibiotics due to recurrent systemic viral and bacterial infections
- candidiasis and parasite overgrowth due to overuse of antibiotics
- lowered immune function
- lowered energy levels
- food allergies/intolerances caused by leaky gut
- underactive thyroid gland
What can I do about it:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome.
A major and often overlooked cause of CFS is an underactive thyroid gland and adrenal stress/exhaustion. Another overlooked factor is heavy metal toxicity, especially mercury poisoning from silver dental amalgams. It’s also important to look for infections that are the result of toxicity and nutritional deficiency, including yeast and parasites, viruses, abscesses in your teeth, and sometimes chronic gastritis.
Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(2) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor when you experience chronic fatigue.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(3) Determine whether your chronic symptoms are related to an overgrowth of microorganisms like Candida and Parasites because they often show up with Leaky Gut Syndrome. Their symptoms overlap and can be an underlying cause if you are experiencing chronic fatigue. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair your leaky gut and improve your overall well-being.
(4) Proper diet is a foundational step for all health issues. It is the necessary starting place to put your Chronic Fatigue Syndrome into remission. Eliminate the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(5) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, and accumulation of toxins.
(6) Avoid or minimize the use of NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.), antibiotics and antacids. See information of Acid Reflux/Heartburn.
(7) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate stress relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as En-R-Gee, Stress Away or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you. Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. Once you determine the underlying cause of your fatigue, look at oils that will support your digestive and immune systems.
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. At Essential Wellness, we can show you how to use the oils and help you determine which ones will work best for you.
(8) Reduce your stress levels. Stress is a very important key to your well-being. A little stress can prompt you into action and that’s good thing. Too much stress can be debilitating and is a major part of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Find stress reduction techniques that work and practice them. This could be something as simple as going for a walk out in nature, yoga, tai chi, deep breathing exercises, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, EFT, Mental-Emotional Stress Release, meditation and visualization to quiet your internal chatter. Self-Care is extremely important.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you have chronic fatigue, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to consider implementing these additional steps:
(9) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system, which reduces your overall stress.
(10) Partner with a naturopathic dentist to safely remove and replace any silver-mercury amalgam fillings if it’s determined that you have high mercury levels. Mercury is a highly toxic substance. This step is often given minimal attention and can make a huge life-altering difference in the areas of anxiety, depression, confusion, irritability, and the inability to concentrate. As you strengthen and repair your body, you will want to detoxify the heavy metals from your body.
(11) Detoxifying your body through dietary improvements, an herbal cleanse program, and/or detoxification therapies can be an effective way to improve your overall experience of well-being. Before beginning any detox protocol, check in with your healthcare practitioner, to determine if there is a reason you should not complete a cleanse at this time. (When your body is in an extreme state of stress and toxicity, it’s important to replenish your nutrient reserves before beginning any detoxification protocol.)
It is also very important for your elimination channels to be open before beginning and during any detoxification program, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) requires a multi-faceted, individualized program. If you are experiencing CFS symptoms, the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, and you need more assistance in putting it all together, Essential Wellness can help you in the following ways:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are connected to some physiological dysfunction (leaky gut) that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of chronic fatigue can be connected to: feeling overwhelmed with your life, feeling responsible for everyone/everything, not being able to let go of past disappointments and investing a lot of energy into holding onto disappointment and resentments. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With chronic fatigue you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.