When candida gains an upper hand, proliferates, and changes in to the fungal form it is called candidiasis. It is this fungal form that takes root and colonizes in the tissue of your body and further upsets the ecological balance of your gastrointestinal tract. The toxins created by candidiasis in combination with your digestive dysfunction cause many discomfortable symptoms.
Possible symptoms experienced with candidiasis:
- bacterial and/or viral infections
- sensitivities to inhaled substances (perfumes, insecticides, dry-cleaned fabrics, and other chemical solvents)
- sensitivity to tobacco smoke
- worse symptoms on damp, muggy days, or in moldy places
- craving for sugar, breads, alcoholic beverages
- mood swings, irritability, jitteriness
- shakiness or irritability when hungry
- fatigue, feeling drained
- drowsiness, insomnia
- poor memory, brain fog, feeling spacey
- inability to think clearly and/or make decisions
- dizziness, loss of balance/coordination
- headaches of any kind, pressure in the head
- spots in front of eyes, erratic vision, burning/tearing of eyes
- ear pain, ear infection, or fluid in the ears
- dry mouth/throat, thrush or coating on tongue, bad breath
- foot, hair or body odor not relieved by washing
- nasal congestion, post nasal drip, nasal itching
- cough, recurrent bronchitis, wheezing, shortness of breath
- pain or tightness in chest
- numbness, burning or tingling in your body
- muscle weakness or paralysis
- tendency to bruise easily
- pain and/or swelling in your joints
- chronic rashes, itching (psoriasis, hives, etc.)
- food sensitivities/intolerances
- abdominal pain, gas, bloating, belching
- constipation, diarrhea, or both, mucus in stool, rectal itching
- prostatitis, impotence, infertility issues
- vaginal burning, itching or vaginal discharge
- endometriosis, infertility issues
- vaginal yeast infection, bladder cystitis
- PMS symptoms (cramps, bloating, tension, anxiety, other menstrual irregularities)
- loss of sexual desire
- cold hands or feet, chilliness
- athlete’s foot, toenail or fingernail fungus
When Candida colonizes your gut (as candidiasis), it can cause problems throughout your body as potent, immune-suppressing toxins are absorbed into your bloodstream. Candida is actually a form of parasite, an organism that feeds off of the human body and can pollute your system with its toxic waste products when it is present in disproportionate quantities.
What causes it:
The ideal ratio of candida to bacteria is 1:1 million; that is 1 yeast to 1 million bacteria. There are multiple factors that contribute to trigger the form change and proliferation of candida that result in candidiasis. This condition develops when the balance between yeast and bacteria is upset as a result of:
- use of antibiotics
- use of birth control pills, chemotherapy, and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen
- use of corticosteroid drugs (which suppress immune system and permit yeast overgrowth)
- a compromised immune system (AIDS, cancer and autoimmune diseases, as well as those taking immunosuppressive drugs)
- a heavy body burden of toxins
- a damp, moldy environment
- a diet high in refined carbohydrates and other yeast-promoting foods
- presence of mercury-containing ‘silver’ amalgam fillings in the teeth
- stress (which suppresses immune function)
- decreased digestive secretions (HCl and digestive enzymes)
- nutrient deficiencies
- impaired liver function
- altered bowel flora (friendly bacteria)
The alteration of the ratio between your friendly bacteria and unfriendly microorganisms in your GI tract is a very common cause of candidiasis. A prolonged or inappropriate use of antibiotics in addition to poor dietary habits is most often the cause of your candida overgrowth and responsible for chronic candidiasis.
While sources of heavy metals exist in your environment, one of the most important with regard to candidiasis is the use of mercury in your silver amalgam dental fillings. These fillings contains 50-53% mercury. It will extremely difficult for you to rid your body of candida if you have this type of fillings in your mouth, for mercury has an antibiotic effect – it kills off ‘good’ bacteria.
It is well known in alternative medicine circles that the development of allergies, food sensitivities, and other autoimmune disorders is viewed largely as a consequence of mycotoxins entering the bloodstream. Normally, the friendly bacteria that lines your gut prevents contamination from mycotoxins, ‘bad’ microorganisms, and undigested food particles but the roots of candida burrow holes into your intestinal lining (this is called leaky gut) where these toxic substances then pass into your bloodstream. Your immune system then launches an immune system attack on undigested food particles and this paves the way for you to experience of food allergies/intolerances and eventual autoimmune disorders.
Candida toxins are then carried through your ‘leaky’ gut via the bloodstream to your liver. From there they proceed to other organs of your body – the brain, the nervous system, the joints, skin, etc, to deposit toxins in your weakest areas. If your liver’s detoxification ability is impaired due to inadequate nutrition and toxic overload, these toxins will be stored and initiate states of chronic disease. In addition to suppressing your immune system, Candida can also disrupt your endocrine system (hormones).
What can I do about it:
To successfully resolve candida overgrowth, it is necessary to restore healthy conditions in your intestinal tract. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body, requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, heavy metal testing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(2) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. Anytime a food is eaten and not completely digested, it will only feed inflammation, gut dysbiosis, and leaky gut. Low stomach acid interferes with the first step of digestion and can be a factor in your health equation.
The HCI Challenge Test can help you determine if you have low stomach acid. If your HCl Challenge Test causes you to experience immediate reflux symptoms, confer with your doctor to rule out a possible H. pylori infection, ulcer, or other stomach issues. Repairing your stomach lining is essential.
(3) Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites and Leaky Gut Syndrome. Parasites and Candida often show up with a leaky gut. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. Your health practitioner can help you determine if candida/candidiasis is an issue for you by first gathering a detailed picture of your symptoms and then gathering a complete history. At Essential Wellness, we begin by having you take the Candida Questionnaire. We then teach you steps to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair your leaky gut beginning with an elimination diet.
(4) With candida, focusing on repairing your metabolism by removing the foods that trigger inflammation in your body and provide food for unfriendly microorganisms is necessary. Eliminating the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you and teach you how to optimize your digestion.
(5) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, insulin resistance, and weight gain.
(6) Setting yourself up for optimal digestion by reducing stress at mealtime is key. Drinking a glass of water 15-30 minutes before your meal, then taking the time to sit down, eat and enjoy it in a stress-free environment is a habit that supports optimal digestion. This allows you to chew your food thoroughly in a relaxed manner and it helps facilitate better digestion. This turns off the stress response and turns on the digest response in the body. Eating until you feel 80% full is another key to optimal digestion.
(7) Getting into the habit of always washing your fruits and vegetables before consuming them is a proactive choice you can make to reduce your exposure to parasites, bugs, and added pesticide residues present on your produce. Choose organic whenever possible to avoid the drag that insecticides and pesticides play on your digestive and immune systems. Avoiding the consumptions of raw or undercooked meat reduces your exposure to parasites.
(8) Reduce your overall stress levels. Stress is a very important key to your well-being. A little stress can prompt you into action and that’s good thing. Too much stress can be debilitating. Find stress reduction techniques that work and practice them. This could be something as simple as going for a walk out in nature, exercising, or taking some time to quiet your internal chatter.
Stress reduction techniques might include relaxation therapy, biofeedback, hypnosis, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, EFT, Mental-Emotional Stress Release, counseling or stress management training. We can teach you stress-reduction techniques to help you diffuse your stress.
(9) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For digestive discomfort, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as DiGize, Peppermint, Ginger or Purification) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you (such as your liver, stomach, pancreas, small and large intestines). Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For candidiasis, look at oils that will support your digestive, immune, and elimination systems.
Young Living Essential Oils are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing a lot of the candida symptoms listed above, your inner ecosystem has probably been out of balance for quite some time. It’s time to think about implementing these additional steps:
(10) Making your dietary improvements permanent might be exactly what you need to feel better. When you do not provide your body with key nutrients all aspects of digestion, absorption, detoxification and elimination become impaired. Re-establishing a balanced metabolism is key.
The place where most people fail is falling back into old habits that slowly recreate their imbalances and symptoms. Eating healthy 95% of the time and indulging only 5% of the time supports your optimal well-being. If you are struggling with how to integrate these changes on your own, an Essential Wellness practitioner skilled in the areas of nutrition, digestion and detoxification can help you.
(11) If your elimination diet doesn’t seem to be making any improvement, ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what’s triggering you. It will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. It will also determine the severity of your intolerance and how long to remove it from your environment while you heal your body.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, consider receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorb your nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It is used to reduce the over-triggering of your immune system.
(12) Test for Heavy Metals. There is a connection between candida overgrowth, leaky gut and mercury poisoning and it may be very difficult if not impossible for your body to repair itself from leaky gut as long as you have heavy metal poisoning. Request a Heavy Metal Profile from your health professional.
If it’s determined that you have mercury toxicity, partner with a naturopathic dentist to safely remove and replace any silver-mercury amalgam fillings. Mercury is a highly toxic substance. This step is often given minimal attention and can make a huge life-altering difference when you are suffering from anxiety, depression, confusion, irritability, and the inability to concentrate. As you strengthen and repair your body, you will want to detoxify the heavy metals from your body after you’ve replaced any silver dental fillings. If your heavy metal load is high, your doctor may suggest participation in a structured chelation therapy protocol in addition to dietary and herbal support.
(13) When you suffer from any kind of digestive dysfunction, it may benefit you to complete repair work of your gut lining so that you experience complete digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Herbal supplements like a Biocult probiotic, L-glutamine powder, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, digestive enzymes, and Glutathione spray all have their place in supporting the rebuilding of your gut ecosystem, but they will not make up the difference if you eat a “crappy” diet. A combination formula of digestive enzymes, taken between meals may be helpful in eliminating parasite larvae or eggs in the intestines.
You can also introduce organic, home-made probiotic foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, etc., to continue feeding and rebuilding your gut ecosystem. The healthier your gut ecosystem is, the more able your immune system is to chelate toxins from your body. There are many ayuredic herbs that benefit the repair of your digestive system. Young Living has many nutritional supplements that can help you balance your digestive terrain. We can help teach you about these supportive supplements and live foods at Essential Wellness.
(14) You may want to assess your body’s elimination capabilities to determine if you need to cleanse your colon. If you are not having at least one healthy bowel movement each day (optimally it would be 2-3 per day), you are not eliminating optimally. Poor digestion, dehydration, candida overgrowth, parasites, and bile issues all figure into your bowel movements.
Always make sure you are eliminating every day before you begin any kind of herbal Candida, Parasite, Heavy Metals, or Liver/Gallbladder cleanse. In instances where you are not eliminating one or more times per day, colonics and enemas can be helpful.
(15) Detoxifying your body through dietary improvements, an herbal cleanse program, and/or detoxification therapies can be an effective way to improve your overall experience of well-being. Before beginning any detox protocol, check in with your healthcare practitioner, to determine if there is a reason you should not complete a cleanse at this time. (When your body is in an extreme state of stress and toxicity, it’s important to replenish your nutrient reserves before beginning any detoxification protocol.)
It is also very important for your elimination channels to be open before beginning and during any detoxification program, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
When you are experiencing a Candida overgrowth or Candidiasis and the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, Essential Wellness can help you. We do this by sharing our knowledge and experience, tools, techniques, and these therapies:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including candida overgrowth and candidiasis are connected to some physiological dysfunction (leaky gut) that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are not eliminating at least once per day.
- We offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to assist you in balancing your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of candidiasis can be connected to: participating in demanding and untrusting relationships that cause you to feel scattered, victimized, taken advantage of where you deny your own needs and fail to support yourself. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With candidiasis you most likely are experiencing a multitude of symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.