Bronchitis symptoms are:
- difficulty breathing
- pain in the chest
Acute bronchitis is a mild, short attack, sometimes accompanied by a secondary bacterial infection, while chronic bronchitis is characterized by constant inflammation, often accompanied by irritation of the bronchi, but without any infectious component.
Other symptoms of chronic bronchitis include:
- hypersecretion of mucus
- expectoration of sputum
- increased susceptibility to brochial infection
What causes it:
Bronchitis can be caused by any one or combination of the following:
- infection (usually follows an upper respiratory infection such as a cold)
- exposure to cold (during the winter months)
- exposure to noxious agents
- food or chemical allergies
- exposure to excessive amounts of smoke
What can I do about it:
Conventional medicine usually considers bacterial or viral infection as the cause of congestion in the lungs. Many alternative practitioners consider the opposite to be true – that infection is the result of lung congestion.
“Organisms only grow in the body when the ‘soil’ is right,” explains John A. Sherman, N.D., of Seattle, Washington. “In the lungs, this means that congestion provides fruitful soil for the growth of infection. By only removing the infection, we do not solve the underlying problem.”
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Reduce or eliminate all mucus-producing foods. The one factor most often related to congestion is your diet. When you consume too many mucus-producing foods, it increases secretion into your lungs as part of the natural cleansing process. This means restricting your intake of dairy, gluten-rich grains, and sugar.
(2) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, accumulation, and weight gain.
(3) Only take antibiotics when absolutely necessary because antibiotics inhibit the production of mucus secretions which can ultimately nurture the production of congestion in the future and lead to your bronchial issues. It can also set you up for a yeast overgrowth in your body.
(4) Your immunity is very tied to your gut health. Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites, and/or Leaky Gut Syndrome. All three often show up together, have overlapping symptoms, and are the underlying cause of chronic respiratory issues. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(5) Stop smoking and/or eliminate your exposure to smoky environments. You will also want to eliminate your exposure to inhaling cleaning chemicals, paint fumes, etc. You may need to invest in a HEPA air purifier to improve the quality of air in your home and work environments.
(6) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Eucalyptus Radiata, RC, Purification or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies. You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you. Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect.
You can apply oils to the body, add them to your bath soak, use for steam inhalation, add them to your vaporizer at bedtime, or use a diffuser anytime. For bronchitis, look at oils that will also support your respiratory and immune systems (such as Ravensara and Thieves).
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
(7) Boost consumption of Zinc, Vitamin C, Selenium, and Vitamin D3 to support your immune system. Work with a skilled practitioner for appropriate supplements and therapeutic dosage levels.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing bronchitis, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to implement these additional steps:
(8) Proper diet is the foundational step in dealing with all health issues, including bronchitis. Eliminating the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) can help you eliminate the food sources that are contributing to your diarrhea, while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you.
Other steps include learning to read food labels, knowing how to choose meals when eating out, and how to create a stress-free environment when eating for optimal digestion. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program that will teach you all these things and more. It is designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you.
(9) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system.
(10) Detoxification is another very important component in promoting health of your immune system and addressing bronchial issues. The barrage of toxins you are exposed to in your environment (household, personal care, and yard products), your food supply, and the air you breathe, it makes complete sense to take steps to remove these toxins from your body.
It’s very important for your elimination channels to be open and moving optimally before you begin any detoxification protocol, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. You will want to check with your healthcare professional before beginning any detox protocol. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
(11) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body (requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis), especially if your diarrhea is chronic. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including bronchitis are connected to some physiological dysfunction that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are experiencing problems with daily bowel movements.
- For structural imbalances, pain relief, congestion and discomfort in your lungs, we offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to help you in balancing your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. The emotional component of bronchitis can be connected to: an inflamed family environment with arguments and yelling. If this description matches what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- With chronic bronchitis you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.