Asthma is a chronic and sometimes acute condition where the smooth muscles that surround your smaller air passages into the lungs (bronchi and bronchioles) go into spasms, narrowing the bronchial passageways. This is usually accompanied by excessive excretions of mucus. This results in impaired breathing, with the severity of your symptoms often accelerating rapidly.
An asthma attack will usually begin with an unproductive cough, followed by the rapidly progressing inability to breathe. While your respiratory rate does not increase, your expiration becomes prolonged and labored, resulting in you wheezing and having difficulty exhaling.
What causes it:
A number of causes can precipitate your asthma attack, including:
- animal dander
- textiles (like cotton and flax)
- air pollutants
- food sensitivities (wheat, milk, eggs)
- chemical additives (food colorings and preservatives)
- sensitivity to cold air
When your asthma attack brought on by stress, it can produce more severe symptoms. Studies have shown that in severely asthmatic children, those who are plagued by depression and persistent family conflict are at a greater risk than others for suffering a fatal asthma attack.
What can I do about it:
When it comes to asthma, your primary focus should be on strengthening your immune system and reducing stress levels. The alternative medicine approach is to do this through eliminating food allergies and intolerances, correcting any digestive problems, detoxification of accumulated toxins in your body, and reducing your stress levels. Here are some diet and lifestyle options for you:
Steps to immediate relief are:
(1) Choose your team of healthcare practitioners wisely. Your health condition and experience of discomfort may be the result of many imbalances in your body (requiring proper testing and an accurate diagnosis), especially if your asthma is chronic. Choosing practitioners with additional training in the areas nutrition, hormone testing/balancing, and detoxification processes will help you take a multi-faceted approach.
Taking ownership of your health equation can be one of the most empowering steps you can take and you can do this by: becoming more informed, listening to your inner wisdom, focusing on your “ideal experience” of health, and partnering with your healthcare and wellness practitioners to effect the best possible outcome. Essential Wellness would be honored to be a part of your wellness team.
(2) Make water your beverage of choice. Water is one of nature’s natural cleansers. Drinking optimal levels of purified water benefits your overall health by supporting your ability to digest your food, supporting your liver in its ability to detoxify your body, and providing fluid for optimal elimination of toxins.
Commit to drinking 1/2 your weight in fluid ounces of water each day. Drinking sips of warmed water (not microwaved) can help support you with detoxifying the congestion in your intestinal tract and lymphatic system throughout your entire body. Eliminating all other caffeinated, sugary, mucus-producing, carbonated beverages (such as coffee, tea, dairy, and soda pop) is essential as they support digestive dysfunction, parasitic and yeast overgrowth, accumulation, and weight gain.
(3) It’s very important that you digest, assimilate, detoxify and eliminate properly. When any of these pieces are out of alignment, it creates inner ecosystem imbalances that lead to internal toxicity and disease. Take the HCI Challenge Test, to determine if you have low stomach acid, as it interferes with protein digestion, which leads to leaky gut, lowered immunity and food sensitivities.
(4) Your immunity is very tied to your gut health. Determine whether your symptoms are related to an overgrowth of Candida, Parasites, and/or Leaky Gut Syndrome. All three often show up together, have overlapping symptoms, and are the underlying cause of chronic respiratory issues. With this information, you will be better informed to ask questions of your team of practitioners. We can teach you how to improve your diet, eliminate candida and parasites, and repair leaky gut by incorporating an elimination diet as your next step.
(5) It is important to determine the trigger of your asthma, and it is more often related to allergies of some kind (food allergies, chemical sensitivities, environmental allergies). To rule out food allergies and/or sensitivities, eliminate the most common highly-reactive, inflammatory foods (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and corn) from your diet, while you complete the required repair work. Upgrading your building materials will help you to unburden your digestive system, remove the foods that feed unfriendly microorganisms, stabilize your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings, and support your body’s detoxification and elimination processes.
Replace inflammatory foods with satisfying balanced meals (healthy, lean and clean proteins; low-glycemic and high fiber carbohydrates; lots and lots of dark leafy greens; and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils). Researchers found that by taking one tablespoon of olive oil twice a day, asthma sufferers were able to reduce their incidence of asthma attacks. Reintroducing each reactive food group separately will allow you to determine what foods are still a problem for you.
Other steps include learning to read food labels, knowing how to choose meals when eating out, and how to create a stress-free environment when eating for optimal digestion. At Essential Wellness, we have a specific coaching program that will teach you all these things and more. It is designed to help you formulate a diet that will work best for you.
(6) Stop smoking and/or eliminate your exposure to smoky environments. You will also want to eliminate your exposure to inhaling cleaning chemicals, paint fumes, etc. You may need to invest in a HEPA air purifier to improve the quality of air in your home and work environments.
(7) Improve the indoor air quality of your home and work environment, if your asthma symptoms are related to pollen, dust, or animal dander. This may mean investing in a negative ion generator or an air cleaning-filtering system with a HEPA filter to address irritants such as dust, pollen, molds, animal dander, and bacteria. Look for a unit that emits a minimum of one trillion ions per second and is self-regulating.
You will also want to get your air ducts and carpets cleaned, without using toxic chemicals, to remove dust mites, animal dander, etc. Change your furnace and central air conditioning filters regularly. Use a humidifier, especially in the winter months, if you have dry sinuses.
(8) Check for and clean up any mold in your home, if this is a trigger for your asthma. Laundry rooms, bathrooms, and damp and/or water-damaged basements are the perfect environment for mold to grow. Diffuse Young Living Thieves oil to kill the mold spores. Be sure to wear a mask when cleaning and removing any mold contaminants.
(9) Herbal medicine in the form of teas and tinctures may help you. Include Mullein tea to soothe your mucous membranes. It is especially good for night attacks. It can be combined with marshmallow and slippery elm tea for additional mucus-secreting effect. If you suffer from asthma due to tension or nervousness, passion flower tea or tincture would be helpful.
(10) Homepathic remedies useful for addressing asthma symptoms are: Ammonium carbonicum, Aralia racemosa, Arsenicum album, Arsenicum iodatum, Cuprum metallicum, Ipecac, Kali nit, Lachesis, Lobelia, Natrum sulpuricum, Pusatilla, Sambucus, Spongia tosta, and Sulphur. It may benefit you to work with practitioner skilled in homeopathic medicines to help you determine which remedy is a match for you.
(11) The use of essential oils can be beneficial to you. For immediate pain relief, apply 1-3 drops of essential oil (such as Eucalyptus Radiata, Purification or Deep Relief) to 1 tsp of carrier oil (V6 or olive oil) and apply through self massage of area(s) where your discomfort lies.
You can also massage the neurolymphatic points and foot reflex points that correlate to areas of the body that are troubling you. Layering multiple oils can create a synergistic effect. For asthma, look at oils that will also support your digestive, respiratory, and immune systems (such as DiGize, Ravensara and Thieves).
Young Living Essential Oils as they are safe, effective, and known for their pureness and therapeutic-grade qualities. For more help with choosing the right oils and application of specific points or meridians on your body, schedule an appointment with us at Essential Wellness.
(12) Stress is a very important key to your well-being. A little stress can prompt you into action and that’s good thing. Too much stress can be debilitating.
Stress release techniques can be very therapeutic for you if you suffer from asthma. This would include Yoga, Tai Chi, Meditation, Visualization, Deep Breathing exercises, or something as simple as going for a walk out in nature, exercise of any kind, or taking time to quiet your mind. We have therapies that can help you with stress relief. We can also teach you techniques that you can implement to diffuse your stress.
Steps to long-term, permanent relief:
If you are experiencing asthma, your inner ecosystem is out of balance. It’s time for you to implement these additional steps:
(13) Make your dietary improvements permanent. When you don’t provide the necessary nutrients, all aspects of digestion, absorption, detoxification and elimination will be impaired. If you struggle with how to make these changes, work with a practitioner skilled in the areas of nutrition, digestion and detoxification.
(14) ALCAT allergy testing can easily determine what allergens are triggering you. Your test results will tell you what foods, chemicals, and other environmental triggers (like pet dander, mold, fungi, grasses) are triggers for you. This testing determines the severity of your intolerance and gives you recommendations of how long to remove it from your environment while you repair your digestive system.
If it’s determined that you have food, chemical or environmental sensitivities, receiving NAET Desensitization Therapy might be part of your allergies answer. This desensitization therapy works in combination with cleaning up your diet, strengthening your ability to digest your food, absorbing nutrients, and eliminating toxins. It helps reduce the over-triggering of your immune system.
(15) Consider working with skilled practitioners such as a homeopathic doctor or herbalist to help put together an individualized protocol of anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial herbs that can be made into teas, tinctures, and powdered supplements to help reduce your symptoms. There are many dietary supplements that can help, such as: B vitamins, EFA’s, Vitamin C and D3, magnesium chloride, calcium glyerophasphate, quercetin, selenium and manganese. Even bee pollen has been proven to be helpful from airborne allergens.
(16) Detoxification is another very important component in promoting health of your immune system and addressing bronchial issues. The barrage of toxins you are exposed to in your environment (household, personal care, and yard products), your food supply, and the air you breathe, it makes complete sense to take steps to remove these toxins from your body.
It’s very important for your elimination channels to be open and moving optimally before you begin any detoxification protocol, otherwise you may suffer from a Herxheimer Reaction. You will want to check with your healthcare professional before beginning any detox protocol. At Essential Wellness, we know the ins and outs of the cleansing and detoxification process and we can help you minimize your discomfort as you detoxify your body.
How can Essential Wellness help:
At Essential Wellness, we believe repair and recovery is based on many factors. Although we cannot diagnose, prescribe, treat or claim to cure any medical condition you may have, our focus is on helping you reduce the many levels of stress that are playing into your current health experience.
If you are experiencing asthma symptoms, the therapies you’ve tried are not giving you relief, and you need more assistance in putting it all together, Essential Wellness can help you in the following ways:
- Nutrition & Wellness Plan is one of our coaching programs that will help you get clear about what your wellness goals are (based on your individual needs), teach you how to decipher and make sense of all the dietary information available to you, and help you formulate your own wellness plan with accountability. The foundation of your wellness plan will be structured around habits that only you have the power to control and change.
- Based on our knowledge and experience, most health disorders including asthma are connected to some physiological dysfunction that causes accumulated toxicity in the body and vice versa. We offer the detoxification therapies of Colonics, Core Lymphatic, and IonCleanse Foot Detox to help reduce stress on your digestive, detoxification and elimination channels. Colonics in combination with herbal support will compliment your dietary foundation and can be especially helpful to you when you are experiencing problems with daily bowel movements.
- We offer Core Synchronism, Eden Energy Medicine exercises, and Vibrational Raindrop Technique therapies to help you in balancing your physical body by reducing your stress. When your body feels out of balance and you feel stress, it is usually due to blocked or congested energy that has settled in your physical body. These therapies help to relieve pressure, inflammation, congestion and discomfort in your bronchial tubes. They also interrupt your stress response and allow you to relax. We can add Essential Oils to compliment the therapy you receive.
- Toxic emotions can block the flow of your energy channels and become stuck in your physical body. There are many emotions that accompany asthma, such as: feeling stifled, having an inability to breathe for yourself, suppressed crying, being reluctant to allow support from others, being overwhelmed with life, feeling overlooked by others, and needing approval and acceptance. If any of these descriptions match what you are experiencing, Mental-Emotional Stress Release techniques may help you understand and integrate these experiences and diffuse the stress they cause you. Flower Remedies can compliment the therapy you receive.
- If you experience chronic asthma attacks, you are most likely experiencing multiple symptoms. We offer RAE Radionics Hair Analysis as another tool to help you understand any stress that is present in your energy system.